August 20, 2019
Lean Justine's Nutrition Hacks
Written by: Superfeet Ambassador Justine Van Drunen
Over the past year and a half, Superfeet Ambassador Justine Van Drunen has lost 141 lbs through diet and exercise alone. Justine, known online as Lean Justine, chronicles her journey on her Instagram and YouTube channels, sharing workout videos, nutrition tips and fitness inspiration. Below Justine shares keto nutrition tips and hacks to stay on track.
There are hundreds of ways to approach weight loss, and they all work by following one fundamental principle: sustaining a calorie deficit.
Start with simple food rules that you can easily implement and sustain. To get started with your low-carb keto lifestyle, use this food list as your guide:
Avoid These Foods
- Grains — wheat, corn, rice, cereal, etc.
- Sugar — honey, agave, maple syrup, etc.
- Fruit — apples, bananas, oranges, etc.
- Starch — potato, yams, etc.
Eat These Foods
- Meats — fish, beef, lamb, poultry, eggs, etc.
- Low-Carb Vegetables — spinach, kale, broccoli, and other low carb veggies
- High-Fat Dairy — hard cheeses, high fat cream, butter
- Nuts and Seeds — macadamias, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Avocado and Berries — raspberries, blackberries and other low glycemic impact berries
- Sweeteners — stevia, erythritol, monk fruit and other low-carb sweeteners
- Other Fats — coconut oil, high-fat salad dressing, saturated fats, etc.
Track Track Track
Track protein, fat, carb, and calorie consumption. Tracking what you eat can help you understand how much you are actually eating and how that translates to weight loss or weight gain. After a few months of using this method you will develop a sixth sense for calorie intake that will help you make healthier decisions without having to measure everything you eat.
Times can get really tough, especially in the beginning, as you may suffer from bad carb/sugar withdrawals. Rather than throwing in the towel or going to binge town, make it easier for your body to forget about those things by coming up with keto-friendly solutions. Honestly, some are so good that they'll make you forget you even liked the refined versions of grains and sugars that were doing so much harm to your body.
My personal fav? Protein coffee. Hits that sweet tooth and gives you that afternoon pick me up — yum!